There are close to 400 kittens, cats, puppies and dogs at the SPCA Animal Shelter in Ampang Jaya. If you are prepared to give even one of these animals a home for the rest of its life, it would be one life saved. Come choose from our wonderful variety of animals of different shapes, sizes, colours and characters!
The Shelter is open daily from 9am-4pm daily, including weekends and public holidays.
The aim of the SPCA is to protect defenseless animals and to alleviate their suffering. Established in 1958, the SPCA provides temporary shelter to unwanted animals in Selangor and the Federal Territory. We try to rehome as many as possible, but with more than 600 animals arriving every month the shelter is constantly challenged by a shortage of space and limited funds.
Adopt a Cat or Dog to save these lives
Thinking of adopting a pet? Ask yourself the following questions:
Why do you want a pet?It's amazing how many people fail to ask themselves this simple question before they get a pet. Adopting a pet just because it's "the thing to do" or because the kids have been pining for a puppy usually ends up being a big mistake. Don't forget that pets may be with you for 10-15 years.
Do you have time for a pet?Dogs, cats, and other animal companions cannot be ignored just because you're tired or busy. They require food, water, exercise, care, and companionship every day of every year. Adding a companion animal to the family is a big responsibility. Before adopting, consider the time, money and effort involved. Are you able and prepared to pay for a balanced diet, vaccinations, veterinary treatment or emergency care? Many animals in the shelter are there because their owners didn't realize how much time it took to care for them.
Can you have a pet where you live?Many apartments/ condominiums don't allow pets, and most of the rest have restrictions as to the type and size of pet. Make sure you know what they are before you bring a companion animal home
Is it a good time for you to adopt a pet?If you have kids under six years old, for instance, you might consider waiting a few years before you adopt a companion. Pet ownership requires children who are mature enough to be responsible. If you're a student, in the military, or travel frequently as part of your work, it is best to wait until you settle down before getting a pet.
Will you be a responsible pet owner?Having your pet neutered, obeying community leash and licensing laws, and keeping identification tags on your pets are all part of being a responsible owner. Of course, giving your pet love, companionship, exercise, a healthy diet, and regular veterinary care are other essentials.
Finally, are you prepared to keep and care for the pet for his or her entire lifetime?When you adopt a pet, you are making a commitment to care for the animal for his or her lifetime.
Get an Animal for LifeYes, it's a long list of questions. But a quick stroll through an animal shelter will help you understand why answering them before you adopt is so important.
- Visit the SPCA Animal Shelter in Ampang Jaya and see the variety of animals available.
- You will be briefly interviewed by the SPCA staff to find out more about your experience with animals, residence & housing arrangements for the animal.
- Choose a pet suitable for your family, lifestyle and living environment.
- Enquire about the adoption fee and conditions for adopting the animal
- Fill in the adoption form at the Front Desk, make the donation and take your pet home.
- For puppy and dog adopters, following the adoption an SPCA Animal Inspector will pay a friendly visit to your residence in the next few weeks to see how your new pet is settling in.
- No animal can be reserved over the telephone or via email.
- SPCA Selangor reserves the right not to approve an adoption.
- SPCA Selangor may need to check the premises of the potential adopter before giving approval.
- Adoption of an SPCA animal cannot be processed for anyone who is below the age of 18, or students who are not residing with their parents.
- Adoption fees range from RM70 above for cats, and RM150 above for dogs.
- The adoption fee is inclusive of one vaccination, one de-worming and the neutering operation.
- It is SPCA’s policy to neuter all the animals that pass through our doors to help curb the overpopulation problem. If your animal is under the age of 6 months, you will be briefed on when to bring him or her back for the operation.
Adopt one of them today
The 6 Key Pillars of SPCA Selangor:
SPCA Animal Shelter & Adoption Centre
MissionHELP : Helping People Help Animals